Monday, January 7, 2008

The Perfect Couple

I'm sure you're all familiar with the search for the perfect couple. The couple that both spouses get along with. It is very elusive and difficult to find. And when you move as often as we do, it makes it very tough to find another couple that both of us get along with. Sometimes I find someone that I like, and I like her spouse, but then Matt doesn't like her or he doesn't like him. And then sometimes it's the other way around, where I don't like one or both. So far, we've found very few that both of us get along with. In California, our "couple" that we love are our friends James and Jamie. And every time we go to CA, we go and visit them, have dinner, and just hang out. In Germany, Alison and Spence were our neighbors upstairs. We became good friends with them. Matt and Spence would go golfing, would play soccer, play halo, and play guitar together. Alison and I would shop, cross stitch, watch girl movies while we cross stitch, scrapbook, make cards, take the kids to the park, and just talk. In San Antonio, since Matt was so busy, we really weren't able to look for our "couple" there. There were a few that had potential, but because he was so busy, we didn't ever have the time as a group to do much.

One of the reasons that we wanted to move to Fort Bragg was that our friends Alison and Spence were here. We really like them. We haven't seen them for two years, and we still talk pretty regularly. Saturday, we drove up to where they are living now. I had no idea how much time we would spend there, but we ended up getting there around noon. And we stayed until 8pm!!! Alison and I sat down and cross stitched. I looked at her albums that she's been able to finish. The kids played. Matt and Spence and Alison's dad went up to the guitar room (yes, her dad has a guitar room. he has about 15 guitars, both acoustic and electric. Spence has around 5 I think.) The boys also went and drove around in Spence's ugly car that is really fast. (I can't remember what kind of car it is) Spence made us some venison steaks, (they were so good!!) and Alison made the kids kid food, and we just sat around and talked. And then we played games and no one left the table upset with our spouse!!!!! It was such a great day. I wish Alison didn't work so that I could drive up there for the day in the middle of the week and just hang out. We'll probably spend many a Saturday there before they leave for Fort Gordon in a few months. I am so glad that we were able to come here and be with them. Spence even bought root beer for me and bought Matt some other kind of drink. How nice is that!!!! Can't wait to have them come over to our house, once we actually have our house...

Hopefully we'll find a couple in this ward that we like. But, I don't know how busy Matt will be, so I might be on my own again....

2 comments:

steve-o said...

If you can't find the perfect couple, you could, of course, just avoid socializing altogether. It's been working great for me for years. The wife might have a different opinion, but oh well.

TJ said...

what?? no way. i would never avoid socializing. i would lose my mind. and of course, i'm not a brown. i could never be happy not socializing.