Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I love books

I think I've mentioned that I love to read. The bad part about it is that I just buy the books instead of borrow them from a library. But now I've got a great selection of books for anyone else to borrow!!

I stayed up way too late last night to finish a book called Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors. It is historical fiction (which I just love!) and it is about the story of the Taj Mahal. I don't know much of the history behind the Taj Mahal, but this book was not letting me sleep last night! I loved loved it. I wouldn't let a teenager read it. It was a bit graphic (not just the sex stuff, but also wars).

I thought I would give you a list of books that I have read and loved, and maybe you'll find one in there that you'll enjoy too.

Marie Antoinette The Journey by Antonia Fraser
Flags of our Fathers by John Bradley
The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio by Terry Ryan and Suze Orman
French by Heart by Rebecca Ramsey
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
The Last Wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson
Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky
Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock
The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff
The Courtesan by Diane Haeger

These are not all of the books that I have read recently. I still have one that I haven't started. I would like to read more of one of my favorite authors Fannie Flagg who wrote awesome books like Fried Green Tomatoes and Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man. I am a big fan of Jane Austen. I really like historical fiction. I learn about the time period and read a cool story, even if it isn't a real story. The book Suite Française is an amazing book. The author died in a concentration camp. Her daughters had this manuscript for 60 years before being able to open it and find out what their mother wrote. I am waiting for the other one to come out this fall. If you haven't figured it out yet, I will read almost anything about France or if it has an Eiffel Tower on the cover, I will usually pick it up, if not actually buy it. Marie Antoinette was a slow read because there is so much detail, but I really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll be reading more as Matt continues in this PA program.

I also love self-help books. I have recently bought, but haven't read, a book called Raising Cain. It's about boys, and how to help them with the emotional part of life. I've only read a few pages. My favorite self-help book by far is How to hug a Porcupine. LOVE it. I need to find it and reread some things. I need to end this because I wanted to get in a little cross stitching tonight. Yeah, I'm weird, I read and I cross stitch. But I love it!! And coincidentally, I'm cross stitching a picture of the Eiffel Tower. Yeah, I have France on the brain.

10 comments:

nikko said...

The only one on your list that I have read is the Prize Winner. It was great. I just read To Kill a Mockingbird and yesterday started Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.

Don't you always have France on the brain?!? ;o)

Lei said...

I really need to read Raising Cain, too! Thanks for the reminder!

Mary Alice said...

Great list.. I am a big fan of John Rosemond's parenting books. If you haven't read those pick one up sometime.

wendy said...

oo oo oo! thanks for the list! I love to read, but I get a little mind block when I enter the library and I forget what I entered for and end up leaving with whatever is on the new arrivals shelf. I never buy books. I should buy more.

J.Ammon said...

Orson Scott Card has a list of books that he taught in a Contemporary American Literature class that he taught. It's at Hatrack.com.
Also, thanks for the recipes!

athena said...

do you read books in french?

TJ said...

sippinghotchocolate: sometimes. i have several petit nikolas books that i love, but i don't have a ton of things in french. i tried reading Les Miserables but my brain started to melt. i just don't know any good french authors. and its not like i could while on my mission. and then when i went back i had small children that don't last very long in a bookstore. (i miss fnac...)

Shelly! said...

I think you saying you miss France is an understatement.

I did find two good books I am going to send you - one you'll laugh that I am sending you and one that I now you'll love!

Shelly! said...

Oh, and a great self-help book for parents is 'Fatherneed'. I read it, and Eric just finished reading it - gives some good thought to the father-child relationship.

athena said...

give me the title of one book you would like to read in french and i will buy it for you from fnac (you'll have to wait til i get back to austin for me to send it to you though). i'm not kidding. :)