Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My latest book and some other stuff

I am reading a fantastic book right now. Its Angela's Ashes. It came out while I was on my mission, and I remember seeing it in all the magazine stores in the train stations in France. But since I didn't know what it was about, and it was in French, I never read it. I was at Borders last week, and I saw a copy for $4, so of course I bought it. I can hardly put it down. I love this book. I have not finished it, but I will for sure be posting about it when I have.

I watched the last segment of "The Mormons" last night. I thought it was better than the night before. I was surprised to see Jim Dalrymple. We know him from church. I remember when his wife died. It was a big shock, and I remember my brother and I talking about it.

I do wish that they had had more interviews of us average, normal, non-intellectual, non-poet, non-artist, non-author members of the LDS church. Or more people that were actually members and not excommunicated members. I do believe that it is important to hear both sides of the argument. If any of you out there in blog-land do have questions, please ask them. To me or any of your friends that are LDS. Because there were some things in the program that were not true, or things that were glossed over, things that they spent way too much time on, not to mention things that they didn't even touch. If you have cancer, you don't ask your hairstylist what you should do. If you have questions about the Catholic church, you go to a Catholic. That's what I did. Same goes for us.

It is late for me, and I promised my husband that I would do some searching online tonite while the kids were sleeping. So I better get on it before I'm sleeping.

10 comments:

athena said...

angela's ashes is such a sad sad story. or at least that was my impression when i read it.

haven't seen the documentary and personally i hope it never comes out this way. someone ought to send the television stations here a copy of the RM. that film is just the funniest. i think we'll get more of an idea about mormons that most documentaries. what do you think? :)

TJ said...

if any movie were to be played on public television, i would do the best two years. that is way more funny than the RM (at least to me) and there is more truth about the life of a missionary than they talked about in the pbs show. i laughed more at the best two years than i did at the RM. i'm just not a fan of the stupid funny stuff. the best two years made me laugh because it was so true on so many levels of being a missionary, especially in a foreign country. have you seen it?

athena said...

i haven't seen it, but i think i ought to!

Millie said...

I'm the opposite - I liked RM better. Probably because I haven't been on a mission. But I have dumped a missionary.

I hope I can find out how to watch Part 2 here soon - I missed it and all I see on the PBS website is links to Monday night's program.

wendy said...

Regular old Mormons. Not the famous or excom's . That would have been a good thing, I think.

Lei said...

"I do wish that they had had more interviews of us average, normal, non-intellectual, non-poet, non-artist, non-author members of the LDS church."

ditto that!

flip flop mama said...

I agree about the pbs thing. It was just okay. Oh and about Angela's Ashes, I really...enjoyed is not the right word...maybe was fascinated by the first half of the story, but once he hit puberty the story was just ruined. I hope you like it better than I did.

athena said...

didn't you get the impression that most people think mormon ladies are mollys? they really ought to get out and interview ladies like us, don't you think? LOL. we'll show them what we think about housework and looking picture perfect. we'll show them that we don't mind being a slob if they don't mind sitting in a house with walls full of nutella stained fingermarks. LOL.

TJ said...

yay for nutella!!! i could eat it with a spoon (and i usually do....)

athena said...

i'm not proud of it but our kids dip their fingers in the jar. i would rather them use a spoon too!