Friday, June 1, 2007

Today and Tomorrow

Today was a fun day for the kids. We stayed at the park WAY too long, but it was nice for all because we met some new friends. Then tonight after we went to dinner at Sonic, we took the kids to the pool on post. It is free, and they have a great kiddie pool that only goes up to 2 feet. And the lifeguard is sitting right at the edge. The first time we went, Lucy was not too excited about it. Maybe about 10 minutes before we left she was finally walking around in the water. Today, she warmed up to it much faster, and was wanting us to help her jump in the water. Andrew still will not put his head under the water, even with goggles on. But we're working on it. I would take them to swim lessons, but its kind of expensive for only about two weeks time, and how would I do it with two kids? Just not possible. Anyway, they are good and sleepy tonight!!

Tomorrow is going to be interesting. We have noticed in the program at church, that alphabetically, people are being assigned to come to the church Saturday mornings and set up for Sunday and clean it up. I really don't have a problem with that, the actual cleaning up. It's how their doing it that is incredibly irritating. I don't think it is posted anywhere, but as far as I know, you only find out that it is your turn, the Sunday before that Saturday. And being a ward where there are many many military families, meaning that husbands could be gone on the weekends and/or deployed, they do not provide child care at all. I'm not saying for every Saturday. Only when it is needed, and whoever it is could have several people rotate through so you're not doing it every Saturday. So, it being our turn tomorrow, and knowing that there will not be child care, I'm a little irritated. I talked to my sister about it, and she suggested just taking them and having them see how little I can do while chasing after my kids. I don't know about your kids, but mine seem to never stop. There energy comes from a bottomless source. So I know tomorrow morning will be very interesting. I would talk to someone in charge, but there is a huge possibility that the ward will be splitting soon, and I'm pretty sure that there are not going to be any major anything that happens between now and then. I'm not the only family with this problem. I would even volunteer to watch someones kids so that they could go and do it. But I REFUSE to pay someone to watch my kids while I go and do something for church. There are a few exceptions to my rule, but the majority of the time, that rule stands.

The rest of tomorrow is a mystery. Usually we just stay at home and let the kids play. I have been taking them to the park everyday for at least two hours. This helps my son to get out a lot of his energy, which allows him to sleep better at night. It is helpful for Lucy because I have noticed that her motor skills have become better at climbing up stairs and running since we've gone to the park regularly. It is helpful for me because I can let the sun bathe my legs and I can also read a book, do my cross stitch, or chat with a friend. It has been great.

I promise that I will start posting more. I haven't been very good at managing my time recently. Can't seem to make things work. And as a side note, my father in law will be flying in on Sunday. He will be here for a business trip until Friday. Thank goodness that his employer will be providing him a hotel and a car for his stay. I actually like him more as a person than I do my mother in law. He just gets on my nerves because of the amount of talking he does!! Now, I talk a whole lot. But this man would beat me if we were in a contest. Anyway, I'm sure I'll have a few posts about him being here.

3 comments:

Shelly! said...

Glad to hear that he will have a hotel - that makes a difference for everyone!

We need to have more park chats - I've been playing so much with the kids at the park that I forget to call people...but we do have much to catch up on.

Good luck with that whole Sunday thing. You could just become a sinner like me :)

An Ordinary Mom said...

My husband and I talk about this often. I always sustain my leaders, but sometimes is is hard when you feel forced in something and when you feel like your agency has been taken away. What happened to teaching correct principles so people could govern themselves?

In our ward we just have a sign up. One week the RS is in charge, one week the EQ, one week for the HP and one week for everyone.

Many times, too, the one making these decisions really don't think through all the logistics. Hang in there! I feel your pain!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I can relate to this rant-ours schedules the building cleaning schedules and two families are usually assigned to clean the building. This is the 3rd year running that I have been assigned to clean the building (alone) on Thanksgiving weekend.

And typically they have like "Smith & Johnson family" on the schedule. My week, its just me. Not me and another family, just ME. Of course my H is right in the middle of basketball season then and the first year they did it, I had a one month old who was extremely ill.

All you can do is your best, and really, I don't think its a matter of not sustaining your leaders if you bring it to their attention and let them know that its very inconvenient and/or impossible for you to help with this task.

There are constant reminders given in Priesthood leadership meetings to remember not to give people assignments and callings that impose unneccesary hardship on people and they probably just aren't even aware of their logistical error.