Sunday, May 6, 2007

So many thoughts

I have so many thoughts in my head about so many things, I just don't know where to start. There is the subject of the radio station in Utah and a military wife. There is another blog that I read that was talking about how she would rather be a wife/mom than do what she's doing at the moment. There is the fact that I finished Angela's Ashes two days ago and I haven't said anything about it yet. Also, with regards to the Utah/military wife situation, the question of "entitlement" came up. I have SO many things to say about that one. I guess I'll start with the first one and when I get tired, I'll have to go to bed and finish later.

I was upset about this almost before I finished reading the whole story. Still am upset/frustrated with it. My biggest problem was that NO ONE should have been treated as she was. There were so many other better options for the DJ's than to do what they did. I worked in a restaurant from the time I was 17 until I was 21. I learned the meaning of customer service. Especially as a hostess dealing with people that are hungry and not in their best moods. Also as a server, and as the cashier. There are those that will never be happy. That will complain about things that don't exist. We do need to listen to our customers, or we would be out of business. My manager got very good at dealing with customers that were upset. I learned a lot. Someone had made a comment about how this woman had felt that she was entitled. The only thing that she was entitled too was to be treated with respect. She wasn't even entitled to the tickets. I do believe that there are people that live in the US that think that they are entitled to all kinds of stuff, that think that they can do whatever they want, and say whatever they want. To some degree, I think we are, but that doesn't mean that we can go around treating others like crap and throwing litter all over the place. Or parking in a handicapped spot when they aren't handicapped. Or so many other things that I can't think of because its almost 1am.....

Next: the blog about being housewives. I can honestly say there are days when I would rather be a trash collector than be a mom/wife. But as I have never been a trash collector, I can't really say that. Being a mom/wife, is the HARDEST thing I have EVER done. EVER. Serving a mission for my church was hard, but there are days when I would much rather do that than have to get poop out of the bathtub again, and deal with two drippy kids and have to clean the bathtub and get them back in the tub to finish getting them clean. I would rather be soaking wet riding my bike up a hill (and I'm not exaggerating. I really did that.) wearing a skirt in the middle of winter in France than do some of the things I've had to do since being a mom/wife.
But just as I knew that serving a mission was the right thing for me to do, being a mom and a wife I know is the right thing for me to do. I'm not as good as some, and I'm better than others, and I'm trying to improve myself so that I can be a better mom. Most things in this life have an end while we are still in this life. I will always be a mom. Always. Forever. There is nothing else like that in the world.

OK, now to Angela's Ashes. I really was fascinated by this book. I am not very educated in a lot of ways, but I would have to say that it was probably very indicative of what life was like for a lot of people. And that just breaks my heart. The choices they felt they had to make, and the lack of education of what sex is. I am really wanting to read the next one, and as soon as I've finished reading the 4 or 5 other books that I already have and haven't read, I will buy it. I may not be very educated, but I sure love to read. Almost anything. And if it has "France" in the title or a picture of La Tour Eiffel, you can be sure that I will be picking it up to see whats in it, and most likely buying it. Its just a sickness I have.....there's no getting over it.

There are some other things that I've been wanting to post about, but they will have to wait. It is now 1am, and I have GOT to get to bed so that I can keep up my exercising. Night.....

9 comments:

wendy said...

so much to comment on. I felt bad for the girl, but I kinda felt like there was too much of a big deal made about it. sorry.

Housekeeping - sometimes I should go ahead and fire our housekeeper with the way she slacks off around here, but I keep her around, I, er, she does cook, sometimes.

Angela's Ashes has been on my list of books to read for a while.

athena said...

you are absolutely right about how the military wife in utah should had been treated with respect. i worked as a personal assistant secretary and learned that the customer is always right even when they're not; that we were to treat them as if they were---now if only i can carry that one through outside of work!

TJ said...

wendy, i agree that there was a huge deal made out of it. i do feel that if these DJ's treated her in this way, that they wouldn't have hesitated to do it to others. and since this is their job, i would think that they would want to keep it. you should not be able to treat others like that in any job at any time. ever. that is what i was upset about. and if you go to the link i posted, there are some updates on the situation, and the DJ's are meeting with her today to apologize. nothing less of what she deserved.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I can't help feeling sorry for your poor head, with so much swirling around in it! =)

An Ordinary Mom said...

I hope you were able to sleep well last night with everything churning around in your head.

If we all treated each other with more respect, then this world would be so much happier.

And motherhood really is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but it is also the one thing that has brought me the most joy. I guess you can't have one without the other.

TJ said...

very true lucy. i have to admit though, i have few moments of joy at this point. i'm learning that it is more my attitude than anything. i'm thinking that i just don't do well with very small children for an extended period of time. i'm hoping that i will get better with time!!
and although my mission was very hard, i look at my pictures and remember how happy i was. i can see it in my face in the pictures. i'm hoping to see that when i look back at pictures of our life now....

wendy said...

That's good that they're apoligizing. I hope she gets some good concert tickets out of this, too.

Zoe said...

Hi Terina, I got sidetracked from your blog after following the link to Leilani's blog and then on to EmLouisa's. I cannot believe that story. That is so crazy!

Hey, did you serve your mission in France? I used to live there when I was a child and my husband served in Germany. We LOVE Europe too!! I would seriously move there tomorrow if I could. :) I hear you on cleaning the poop out of the tub! Myles did that several nights in a row one time!! UGH!! :)

Zoe said...

PS I forgot to thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! You are so nice! :) :)