Monday, March 3, 2008

So mean

Yesterday sitting in the back of Primary, the senior kids were behaving so badly. The woman giving sharing time was nervous as it was her first time doing it. I could see pretty much everything that the kids were doing. I was so irritated!! And it wasn't as if the teachers were ignoring it either. They were doing their best. So, when I got up there, I was pretty mad. I told them that if they couldn't behave during sharing time and/or singing time, that the ones that were behaving badly would have to come up and sing a solo. You could have heard a pin drop in that room. They learned the first verse to the new song of the month, and then I had promised to teach them a song in French. So we learned a few lines to "I am a child of God." They behaved much better, and I think they all realize that I mean business. I admit, I don't really like to be mean, but it sure feels good sometimes to give some deserving people a good kick in the rear.

edited: after talking to the primary president today, she shared that there are a few in primary that would misbehave to sing a solo just to get the attention. so, i guess i will have to come up with another option. my favorite so far is to sit quietly (as in the entire senior primary) for one minute. and if someone makes a vocal noise, the minute starts over. or instead of that, making them sit quietly for all of singing time. not sure what i'll do, but i'll come up with something.

4 comments:

nikko said...

What a great idea... I'll have to remember that one for our Primary!

miranda said...

Good on you! Kids need to learn respect, and how to behave appropriately in public. Kudos for trying to teach that lesson! So few adults bother anymore...

Anonymous said...

Hey Terina -- I feel you on this one, just with the younger version. We teach the 5-6 year olds, and usually they're pretty decent. But yesterday? I actually threatened to take a kid to his dad because he would. not. stop.

How did they do with the French? I had to help our ward choir sing a verse of "Angels we Have Heard on High" one Christmas, and it kind of hurt a little... =)

TJ said...

teresa, they didn't do too bad. i gave the teachers a copy of the song, and we did it word by word. they are just kids, so i'm not looking for perfection. i did mention that a lot of sounds were nasal sounds, and that sort of thing. we'll see if it works again on sunday...