Friday, October 19, 2007

This week is just kicking my butt

This has been one of the most overwhelming weeks. I was very frustrated about it. My sister reminded me that "frustration is just unmet expectations". And that if I just expect people to be, well, not very smart, then I won't be frustrated. And sad as that may seem, she is right. I need to expect these things to happen.

-First, helping a family with getting food from our storehouse. We go there, and the wife is sporting acrylic nails and the son is watching the cartoon network. And they can't afford food....

-I got a phone call from a woman who had just had a baby and asked if we could provide meals for her, her husband, and her mother in law until the 26th. Um, are all of you bedridden??? No one can cook??? No way we are sending in 9 meals when there are able bodied people there, and they aren't wanting in the food area. I gave her a choice of having 3 meals now, or 3 meals when her MIL leaves on the 26th. She chose to have the meals now. What I don't get is this "entitled" attitude. We bring meals to women and their families when they have babies because we want to, not because anyone is entitled to it. I guess if she had gone about it in a different way.....and maybe because I had already dealt with the above mentioned situation I wouldn't have been so irritated with it.

-The situation with my friend. Still working out what I want to do, and how to go about it. I've already looked up a few things online.

-I was at a friends house from church this morning, and the phone rang. It was a woman whose son was at our hospital here. She wanted to know if some of the men could come and give her son a blessing. I asked what his injuries were. First of all, this boy is 19. He has lost both of his legs, one arm, and the hand of the other arm. He has burns over 50% of the body that he has left. He is fighting pneumonia. The doctors are amazed he has survived as long as he has. This boy is also married. I have not been able to get this out of my mind since I heard about this. I was holding my son today, wondering where he will be at the same age. I pray he is on a mission and not fighting a war. But someone has to do it..... I cannot imagine what this mother and young wife have been going through. And I couldn't just send anyone over to give a blessing. This had to be someone in the medical field, that would be able to handle whatever they saw when they gave him the blessing. My heart just aches and aches for this family.

-And finally, someone called me today to tell me that there was a family that was going to get kicked out of their place because they were short on the rent. And the rent was due tomorrow. Well, how come the family hasn't called the bishop or I?? And reality is that we couldn't do anything to help them by tomorrow anyway. I had no idea what to do with this. I tried to call them and tell them a few things the bishop had suggested, but no one answered. I should probably try again....

I am hoping that tomorrow and Sunday do not bring anymore of these sort of things my way.
Also, if any of you have any ideas on what our ward (church congregation) could do to help these families at the hospital, please let me know. Most are on orders and are financially taken care of, and can get transportation when needed, but I just wish I could do something more for them. Since we are a military ward, we will have to deal with this often, and I want to have something prepared, something that we can do for these families that are here supporting these soldiers that are fighting to keep limbs on, and fighting to stay alive....

We did have a beautiful day today. They sky was blue, the humidity wasn't too bad, and it wasn't too terribly hot. Something positive.......

My husband took the kid swimming, so now I have to go and clean up the living room and do dishes. It's much nicer to do all of that with on one around.

Bonne week-end!!

7 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I think that has to be the hardest thing about your calling, dealing with welfare issues. Sometimes you just want to shake people and say, "hello! DUH!"

An Ordinary Mom said...

Dealing with these kinds of issues is enough to make anyone go mad!?!?

Hang in there, the Lord is strengthening you even if it might not seem like it!

Shelly! said...

I was so glad we had a chance to chat yesterday - fairly uninterrupted too!

This week was really out of the ordinary but nonetheless overwhelming with issues.

And the whole acrylic nails thing? I used to get the biggest kick out of doing financial aid for people at Kaplan when I worked in Provo. They'd come driving up in these souped up cars and then tell me that they needed assistance. Ha!

We can always find money for the things we want can't we....even if it eats up the things we need.

Hope the evening of quiet was a nice refresher from all of it...

Anonymous said...

The story of that boy breaks my heart. I don't know what else to say.

athena said...

this is one calling that would melt me. courage.

LeeElle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LeeElle said...

maybe she just assumes she gets dinners for a week because of past wards she's been in. Every ward I've been in brought dinner for about a week. The assumptions is probably just based on what people are used to