Friday, August 3, 2007

Hmmmmm

Matt and I sat down to watch a movie together tonight. We haven't been to an actual movie theater since last summer, and that was a military one, and I think we only paid $3.50 for each of us to see the movie. Matt went and saw Disturbia in April, and I haven't been to one at all. I really don't think I'm missing out on much other than paying way too much to see a movie.

We watched Breach. The story of FBI agent Robert Hanssen. I remember reading about it in Newsweek when it all came out. At the end, the movie goers find out what was the motivating factor for him: his ego. (and of course, this is according to the movie. I haven't read anything since I read that article in Newsweek). And I got to thinking about it. The reason why bullys bully other kids at school is to make themselves feel better, to stroke their ego. The reason that girls spread mean rumors about others is to make themselves feel better.

If that were true, that he committed espionage, to make himself feel important, what kind of an ego did the man have?? What are we capable of doing just to make ourselves feel better, or feel that we are better than others? Osama bin Laden is the same sort of person. He commits acts of terrorism to make himself feel better. Hitler, Saddam Hussain, and others have done horrible things to protect their ego, to get power, and to put others down.

Our ego must be really important.......

4 comments:

Shelly! said...

Wow! Terina is waxing political. I think I'm going to call the FBI!

I completely agree though. I just finished three books - all about people with large egos, willing to do what it took to make their agenda work out.

The reality is that we all suffer from issues that our id, ego, superego create...the difference is what we do with those urges and unconscious motivations.

Speaking of which - I think movie producers, actors, and theaters all must have HUGE ego issues if they have to charge $12.50 per person to see a movie.

TJ said...

i know, i know, so unlike me.
but his story is fascinating. i looked up some articles online to read a little more about it. and there is a book out too. that might have to go on my "to read" list.

Millie said...

Wow, how funny - I just wrote about this last month. There must be lots of ego in the air lately.

My ego tells me to mess with my blog constantly, to the neglect of everything else. :)

athena said...

ok, i had to chuckle with "it's just me..."s comment. movie producers, actors and theatres having huge ego issues. i think i go through the ego thing now and then. it makes up for the self bashing i sometimes give myself.