Sunday, December 2, 2007

Walk

For more on this topic, go to Sunday Scribblings.

I enjoy walking. But I am not a slow walker. I never have been. My legs are really really long. I walk quickly. I don't like to dawdle, and look around me. I walk with a purpose, and I get really irritated with those in front of me that cannot seem to get out of my way. (But today I was walking really slowly pushing a cart in Target. It's hard to move quickly when you have two kids that are fighting over the $1 popcorn and drink, not to mention screaming at me to look here or there at some toy that they want Santa to bring. I actually had people having to go around me. That was something new for me.)

While I lived in Germany, I would walk with some friends about three nights a week. We would walk the little over 3 miles it took to walk around post. I lived for those nights. Not only was it exercise for me, but I got to be with other women, and I usually didn't take my kids with me. We talked about our frustrations, our kids, husbands, church, family....you name it. Sometimes one of my friends, Holly, would call me up and say "can you meet me downstairs in five minutes?" Usually that meant that she was going to physically hurt either her children or her husband, or was frustrated with her mom 5,000 miles away, and just needed to get out of the house. I loved those walks. Right now, I walk with no one. And I usually only get to walk maybe once a week. After those walks I would feel better emotionally, physically, and mentally. I hope at Fort Bragg I can find people to walk with me again. Maybe I would be tired enough and have gotten all my issues out so that I would have gone to bed instead of blogging at 2:30 in the morning...

5 comments:

paisley said...

this is really a nice little blog you've got here... i lived in dallas once for like 18 months,, and that was plenty... so i can sympathize on the whole not being thrilled part... i always felt that if i wasn't from there i didnt need to be there... but then again... maybe thats just me......

Rob Kistner said...

Walking is a precious freedom no matter where in the world one is... because there are far too many places where one does not dare to walk!

deedee said...

I hope you can find some more walking time. It's great for my mental well-being.

Tumblewords: said...

Walking is a great source of mental relaxation and stimulation...It is more fun sometimes to walk with others - hope you find compatible walkers!!

Emily S. said...

I was just telling my sister yesterday that for the first time in my life, i have to be a SLOW walker. It's rough for me, a natural pusher/shover. But since the last two months of pregnancy (waddle, stop, catch breath, continue) and now the C-section recovery (walk gently so the muscles don't tear apart again!!!), I am downright GLACIAL. Weird.
Still, it has been good to get out and walk, even at that pace.