Thursday, June 5, 2008

My new favorite book

I've been listening to a book on CD called Without Offense. This is my new favorite book. I already love his other book How to Hug a Porcupine.

I've been listening to one CD about five times in a row. And they are just amazing. In Without Offense, Dr. Lund uses the teachings of Christ, the Book of Mormon and the Bible. In the Porcupine book, there are no such references. As I listen to the CD's, though, I am shocked. I think, why wasn't I ever taught this? Or maybe I was, and was just young and didn't get it. And I'm also shocked that so much is in the scriptures. And that I'm so clueless that I can't get all of this information by just reading them. I also think, do my parents really understand these things? Because some of these things were never taught at home. Of course, you'd have to read the book to understand what I'm talking about. But some of the things he talks about are mighty prayer, and what is needed to have a mighty prayer. Things like waiting for the spirit to prompt you before criticising someone. Things like taking your frustration to God, and your love to the person. These things I had no clue about. I've done so so many things wrong, and my bad habits are 30 years old. Change is stinking hard. But I've come a long way. Still working on not criticising someone until the spirit prompts me to, but I keep my mouth shut much better than I used to.

I don't want my kids to feel like I do at this age. I want them to know all of this and more. I want to practice it in my daily life so that not only am I teaching it, but I'm actually doing it. I wish I had found these books sooner. But at least my kids are small. And hopefully they won't remember the dumb things I did when they were little. Just the smart things I do when they are older......:)

No comments: