Friday, November 23, 2007

Our Thanksgiving

Wednesday afternoon, I got a phone call from a friend and church and she was calling to invite us over for thanksgiving. They had bought two small turkeys that they were going to deep fry, and needed some help eating them. Well, talked to Matt, and we decided that we would go to our friends house instead of Cracker Barrel. (but maybe next year!!)

Yesterday morning, I set to baking my fabulous corn bread, my more fabulous apple cranberry crisp, green bean casserole, and a pumpkin spice pie (courtesy of jello pudding mixes). On top of this, I have been suffering from the worst allergies I have ever had. I haven't had a voice since Monday night. My nose wasn't yucky, but now it is. My throat is killing me. And on top of that, Andrew and Lucy are both having some of the same issues!!! (cannot wait to leave allergy ridden San Antonio!!)

Our meal was good, the turkey was really good. (even the white meat was really really juicy.) All the kids had a great time running around and playing. I brought my camera, but didn't even use it. Oh well. Not much to take pictures of at thanksgiving other than food and people eating. I felt really yucky most of the time anyway. And all of a sudden it got really really cold here. Wednesday we were wearing sandals and t-shirts, and we wake up Thursday morning and it is really cold. Highs in the 50's I think they said. Crazy weather.

All of my brothers and sisters are at my parents for thanksgiving this weekend. Except me. (I'll have to start getting used to that) My youngest brother is speaking at church this Sunday for his farewell talk before he leaves for his mission in about two weeks. (the little stinker is going to Paris!!!) My other brother is there with his fiance that I have never met. And I can't even go to the wedding because they are getting married right when I'm moving and on the opposite side of the country. Well, not really opposite, but way closer to the rocky mountains that I'll be. So, a little sad for me. But I am realizing how stressful it is for me to go home. I have to go to each of Matt's parents homes, find a time to see my sister in law in San Diego, see my grandma who lives near LAX, and see my parents, and whatever siblings are around, and at the minimum see my best friend. And that is just too much. I end up not enjoying myself, and driving around way too much (on California gas prices). And this is why I don't want to go home at Christmas anymore either. We just can't this year, and I doubt we'll be able to afford to go next year either. But who knows where we'll be after that.

I hope all of your thanksgivings were relatively stress free, and that the food was yummy, and that there weren't any disasters of any sort. And I hope you were smart enough to stay home on black Friday.....

I was going to do a list of things that I'm grateful for, but I just took a few benadryl, and my mind is a bit foggy. So, you'll have to wait for that list on another day.

2 comments:

Vanessa and Rebecca said...

I LOVE fried turkey. I know what you're going through with visiting family. What we ended up doing a couple of times was not telling anyone that we were going into town. Then we'd surprise the people we could stand to visit then sent "sorry we missed you but it was a super short visit" cards to them later.

Hope you enjoy your season though. Just realize that this time in your life won't last forever. It will end soon and things will be better. :-)

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Happy Thanksgiving!