Saturday, November 17, 2007

Last night

A girl in my ward invited me out last night to go out. Her husband is deployed, and her mom was coming over to watch the kids so that she could go out. We went to my favorite restaurant La Madeleine. Then we went to watch Elizabeth: The Golden Age. It was so so very interesting. While I was watching it I was trying to figure out who her parents were (I'm pretty sure it was Henry VIII, but I'm going to double check that today.) There were some unnecessary things in it, but just the story of it is fascinating. I've learned more history from historical fiction that anything else. My only history class in high school was a summer school class where we took tests out of the book, had a speaker once a week come in, and watched some epic historical movie almost every day. I have little retention from that class other than someone came and talked about picking cotton, and then a black man came and talked to us, but I cannot remember what he talked about. Haven't had another history class since. Anyway, fabulous movie. I had brought some treats in with us, and we were so focused on the movie that we hardly ate any of it. I'm looking forward to The Other Boleyn Girl. I'm reading that right now. Hopefully it won't be rated R. There is another movie coming out called PS I Love You. It is also a book by Cecilia Ahern. I really enjoyed the book, and it looks like the movie will be good too. I would have linked things, but I have to go to the store and get potatoes so that I can make a ton of mashed potatoes for a dinner our church is putting on for some older shut ins in our three wards. I don't mind making them. I put heavy cream in mine.....So yummy......And since I'm not cooking at all for thanksgiving (we're going to Cracker Barrel) I can make mashed potatoes. I think I'll keep a little bit for me!!!

1 comment:

Shelly! said...

You would be right! Elizabeth was the daughter (bastard, depending on the day) of Henry VIII and the ever controversial Anne Boleyn.

I'm going to send you The Virgin Queen. I think you'll like it since you really liked The Other Boleyn Girl. Same author but about Elizabeth - very interesting! I am having a blast reading historical fiction and then going to find the books they used to base their 'facts'.

I just read a great historical fic about Helen of Troy - so now I am reading 'Helen of Troy: Goddess, Princess, Whore' which is non-fic and was used by the other H.O.T author.

Not sure I'd want 'whore' as part of my future title, but maybe there will be a book about me:

Shelly: Mother, Goddess, Revolutionary

Would you read it?