Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Its been more than a year

I was going to post about this at the end of October, but I never got around to doing it. I guess I was busy.

We have now been in the USA for a year. More specifically, Texas. I am more accustomed to living here now, but I can't say that I like it. I can't really pin down what the reason is. When it comes down to it, I would just rather be in Europe. Even if the weather is bad. I would rather be in Paris when its raining than Texas. Or California for that matter. They totally freak out when it rains there. "Storm Watch" is all over the news, and people just cannot drive in the rain at all. At least in Europe they are used to it, and aren't crazy drivers when it rains.

This last year has been extremely challenging for me. I am pretty much a single mom. My husband does very little in our home other than sleep, eat, and study. With sometimes watching a UFC show, sport show or The Office. Friday nights are my only "break" (if you could call it that). This past year I have been camp director at church, which might seem easy. But when you have little kids and you're trying to figure out who will watch them while you're at camp, it can be stressful. Then I got this Relief Society President calling. I must say I will be glad when I'm done.

This year has also been stressful with having our family so close. For most, that might sound great. And also, you might think, isn't her family in California? That's not that close. Compared to Germany, its close. The problem is that because I live so far, I have to spend lots of time/money to visit home. And because of experience, I know that I cannot stay around my mom for more than a week. Any longer, and it is just bad. Which is sad because they don't get to see us often, and only spending a week isn't very much time. Which makes it stressful for me trying to fit all of Matt's family in on top of mine, not to mention some very good friends that I like to see when I'm home.

This is kind of off subject, but another stress for me right now is that Matt graduates next month. His dad, his dads wife, and their two little kids (the youngest is only about 9 months older than Andrew if I remember right) are coming, and will be staying with us. And Matt's sister called last night and told me that she and her mom want to come out too, but that they would stay in a hotel. So on top of packing and getting ready to move, I'm going to have most of his family visiting. I just might lose it. If we lived in Germany, this would never happen. Luckily, North Carolina might be far enough to keep most of them away. I know that sounds bad. I have just learned that there is a limit on how long I can be around certain people. With my mom, no more than a week. With Matt's family (other than his oldest sister) its about a few hours before I need a break and some air. So having that to deal with in person rather than on the phone has been stressful this year too.

We also make less here than we did in Germany. When you are overseas, the military gives you something called COLA. Cost of Living Allowance. It is to alleviate the exchange rate, and the amount you get is based on your rank and family size. Some months, we got a ton. I was also teaching a lot of piano in Germany. Here, I have had only one student and that one for only a month or so. It has been a little tricky with our finances.

I am hugely looking forward to moving to a new place. To see our friends that we haven't seen in almost two years. To be further away from family. To a house that isn't falling apart like ours is now. To new foods, and meeting new people. To the end of Matt's schooling so that our lives can get back to a kind of normal.

I have learned a whole bunch this year about myself. I wouldn't trade the knowledge that I have gained. But if I had to do this again, I would say no.

The things that I will miss about living here is mostly the people. But most of them move around too, so there is a chance that we will see each other again. I will miss great Mexican food! And I will miss the weather. We will see how I like North Carolina. I am a west coast girl to the bones. It will be a huge change for me to live in the Southeast.

5 comments:

nikko said...

I'm glad that your DH is almost done with school and that you get to move somewhere new. That will be exciting.

I came kicking and screaming to Texas (I'm also a west coast girl) and now we've been here for 5 years and I'm still alive to tell the tale. I guess it's all about making the most of it and learning to love the quirky things about where you are.

Although, I would be lying if I said I wouldn't rather be in Europe! ;o) You are lucky to have had the chance to live there -- most people don't get opportunities like that. Consider yourself lucky!

Ms. Liz said...

TJ -
You are so amazing to have gotten through all of this in one piece AND with two munchkins. I know I am not cut out for the military wife thing. *serious props*. North Carolina will be gorgeous. Jared is out there and my littlest brother just got called on his mission out there and he's heard nothing but good things about the place. The East Coast is a different country and so is The South. I'm sure all of it pales in comparison to Europe, as most would, but I'm excited for you nevertheless. You'll be great!

Lanes said...

Terina, I really hope your family doesn't read this blog!

TJ said...

lanes: nope. i don't give them the web address on purpose. well, except for LeeElle, but she knows that what is written on my blog, stays on my blog. i do it that way so that i have a place to go with my issues, irritations etc without having to worry about any repurcussions.

Kayris said...

A woman I used to work with was married to a man in the Navy. They lived all over the place, Panama, Japan and a bunch of other places, and she said the culture shock was always coming home to the USA. I think you will like NC. The people in the south are very friendly!