Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I miss this

When Matt and I were first married, his mom gave us the piano she had. She had told Matt that when he had room for it, he could have it. I used it to teach piano, to practice, and to help Matt practice for his songs that he would sing for church or for the chamber choir he was in at the JC he was going to at the time.

When we moved to Germany, we brought the piano with us. It was an old piano, really heavy, missing a wheel or two. And with us moving so darn much, we decided to get something different that was lighter, didn't need to be tuned, and took up less space in the small homes that the military gave us to live in.

While we were in California, Matt was asked to sing solos fairly frequently. And of course in Germany he sang and danced for his job. I would help him practice and if it were for church, I would accompany him. I LOVE accompanying a good singer. I am not a concert type pianist. I love to play for an amazing soloist, that just sings, and knows that I will follow him/her as they go. I love how it feels to be a part of that voice (cause I have a choir voice) and to allow the piano to have those same emotions. Since Matt has been in this school, he hasn't sung at all. In fact, when the choir sings, he just gets up and sings with them, without going to choir practice. The choir director is just fine with it. In fact, she asks for him to do it sometimes. Our choir is pitifully small.... So, since we aren't going to be here for the Christmas program at the end of the month, she has asked him to sing before we leave. And of course I will accompany him. I am so excited! First, for a new song to learn. Second to play for him. We haven't gotten to do this for so long. Its one of the things that brings us together, and when I really feel unified as a husband/wife team. Maybe I'll have someone record him and I at church in a few weeks and post it. Is that against the rules?? He is singing an arrangement of Silent Night. One that start out with four flats, and then changes to 3 sharps. It really isn't that hard, its just always a bit of a trick to go from so many flats to sharps. Sharps always seem harder for me. Don't know why. So, maybe in a few weeks I'll post a video of him singing in church, with my playing. I'm actually excited about it. I don't get nervous playing for people anymore. Thank goodness.

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Wow, what does your husband do for the military? (if you can, of course)

I think it's not allowed to record music during Sacrament meeting. I have seen it done during firesides, though. You sound like an amazing accompanist, I wish you were moving to OH. My wonderful accompanist is leaving next summer and I don't know what I'll do without her...what arrangement of Silent Night is it?

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Sharps are simply less comfortable & less ergonomic to play than flats! I'll take 5 flats over 2 sharps any day of the week. I thought I was odd, or that perhaps my comfort with flats was because of flute which usually plays in flat major keys for the convenience of other players in band.

Then, I was thrilled when a friend of mine & her husband, who are both extremely accomplished pianists said the same thing, flats are just more "comfortable" keys.

Accompanying is fun, I agree! It's nice to be a "part" of the music.

TJ said...

jill, my husband is going to physicians assistant school here at fort sam houston in TX. we will be moving to fort bragg in NC very soon.

Mamapierce said...

I see. We're also miltary, stationed at WPAFB here in OH. We're originally from OK. My husband is an analytical scientist for the AF. I'm currently pursuing a degree in vocal performance. We have one daughter, Anna, who's 5 years-old. It's nice to meet other lds military musical people - even if it's just via blogs! :o)

TJ said...

i forgot to tell you what silent night he is singing. it is the Beebe arrangement. its just what the ward had. i didn't have anything that he could do. i had some choir songs and the forgotten christmas carols, but that wouldn't do. its easy for him, and since he doesn't have the time that i do to practice, it works well. i have over a week to get that four flats three sharps thing figured out.:)