Friday, July 6, 2007

Today is Friday

And on Fridays, our family does something out of the house. It is the only night of the week that Matt can spend with us, without studying. We don't usually do too much, just get something to eat, and sometimes we go to Walmart or Target.

Tonight we went to Target. They have these fabulous notebooks with glossy pictures of my favorite thing, La Tour Eiffel, on them. I bought out the Target I went to last week, and I had been dying to go to a different one to relieve them of their stock. I was disappointed, but came away with a book called The Shoe Queen. It had stuck out to me because it had a picture of La Tour Eiffel on it, and it is set in the 1920's, in Paris. Well, no-brainer there. As I was checking out, the man at the register noticed my book, and told me that it was fabulous. (He was at least 15-20 years older than me) He said his sister was reading it, and that she was going to be passing it on to him. Then he got started talking about Paris, and how his family went several years ago, how the Parisians were snooty to him because he spoke Creole French. I said that I spoke French, and I had never had problems with them. I told him we had lived in Germany too, and so I was able to visit. He then told me about his brother who went AWOL (absent without leave for you acronym-challenged people out there) because they were sending him to Germany and he didn't want to go. Apparently this family had many relatives in many countries and this man thought his brother was crazy for not wanting to go to Germany and then visit his relatives in all the different places they lived. I got all of this information while he was ringing up my purchases. And all because of a book. I guess I never expected a conversation like this from someone who worked at Target......

I still need more of those notebooks!!!!

2 comments:

Lei said...

Well, I hope you'll leave a review on your blog after you've finished it!

Mrs. O said...

those random chance conversations can be the most interesting and pop up in the least expected places.