Thursday, June 11, 2009

What I do when I have no furniture

One thing I do is spend way too much time online. Another is cross stitch. And the last thing is that I read. And read and read and read. In the last month, I read three books. Well, it might have been more, but I only found three.

People of the Book This book was SO fascinating. I could not put it down. I know very little of Jewish history and wasn't even aware of the Sarajevo Haggadah. It is historical fiction, but the book actually does exist. The author, Geraldine Brooks, was also a newspaper reporter for The Wall Street Journal in Sarajevo to cover the Bosnian war. So, the woman does know what she is talking about. Would highly recommend this book. (shell read it too and LOVED it.)

John Adams I have read a lot of historical fiction about Europe, and also actual non-fiction books like Marie Antoinette the Journey, but I had never read much about American history. After being able to visit Washington DC twice last summer, it got wheels turning in my head. I read John Adams, and really truly enjoyed it. I learned so much about how things really happened. I loved reading the correspondence between John and Abagail. He became more human in my eyes. As well as Thomas Jefferson (who died $100,000 in debt), George Washington, and Alexander Hamilton. I've started reading 1776 by the same author. Really looking forward to learning more about how our country came to be. Love it. And Matt bought me the HBO miniseries of John Adams. Can't wait to watch it!

Secret Daughter I really enjoyed this book. The author was born the same year as my own parents, and it was fascinating to read about her experiences, and then think about what my parents experienced during that same time.

I love reading. Once I'm unpacked then I'll start up again.

No comments: