Monday, June 29, 2009

Bed

I just made my bed.

Growing up, I hated HATED making my bed. I couldn't understand what the point of all of it was. I mean, NO ONE would come into my room (well, hardly anyone) between the time I woke up and went to bed. So, what was the point of making my bed? Who cares? I thought it was yet again, another pointless chore that my mother would make me do.

Now.......I haven't had my kids make their beds hardly ever. But since we've been in this house (and I got a new quilt for my bed that actually fits and looks good and will look even better when we get our room organized) I have been trying to make my bed. I have a cal king bed. So I am walking back and forth about five times just to make the bed. When I change the sheets, I actually get out of breath because of all the work. (we also have a memory foam mattress. heavy.) I've helped the kids make their beds too. And they are even happy to do it! Well, most of the time. It is the one spot in their rooms, as well as mine, that looks good.

It's a hard thing to change, to go from not making them to making them, and I'm working on doing it. Hopefully it will help me to be motivated to make other small changes that can make a big difference. So far, I've managed to read my scriptures every morning for almost a year, have my dishes done every morning, sweep my floors regularly (thank you pretty broom), get my laundry on a schedule, and now make our beds. Next up: cleaning the bathrooms a lot more often. Using my yummy smelling cleaners is always a good motivator!! I almost LIKE cleaning the bathrooms.......almost.

3 comments:

Shelly! said...

First of all, I went in your room and I'm a someone. Ok, now that's off my chest...

When I was young I hated making the bed too. Then my Grandma showed me how (military corners and all) and in the lesson told me that she always made the bed because on days when she was frazzled she could look in her room and see that she'd gotten one thing done. It has stuck with me and so every morning I literally roll out of it, and then make it. And when I'm feeling crazy about my day I can look and see a sense of accomplishment.

And you, liking to clean the bathrooms? That sounds almost Shelly-esque!

Amanda said...

I struggle getting my kids to make their beds. In fact I never even think about asking them. When I am in the habit of making my own bed it sure makes the room look almost clean. So how about some pictures of the quilt you got.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I decided awhile back that I deserve to sleep in a made bed. And if no one else is going to do it, which they aren't (ok, DH sometimes does) then it means I'm going to have to make it.

My kids like having a made bed too, so they have decided to start making their own...most days.

I'd love to see a picture of your new quilt!