Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's Sunday Morning

And I'm waiting for my husband's connection to get back up so he can call me. While I wait, here is what I wanted to post last night, but I ended up watching La Vie en Rose.

La Vie en Rose was so so sad. Her whole life, beginning to end, was like a nightmare that sometimes you thought was going to end, but then it didn't. It makes my heart hurt for all those whose stories are similar (or worse) and never make it to a movie.

I have forgotten what it was like to have warm weather. We've had temps in the 70's these last few days, and it is amazing what that has done for me! It just proves to me that I am right to insist to my husband that where ever we end up living for the rest of our lives (hopefully, anyway) has lots of sun, warm temperatures, and not too much rain.

The eggshell situation is taken care of. It ended up being that this person knew that it was all on their end, and I didn't have to do a thing. I was prepared to do it. I even rehearsed what I was going to say. And now, all is well.

I have decided to switch all my pans to cast iron. I have used a flat round griddle and a medium sized skillet so far, and I LOVE them. They are awesome. I know I can get them from Walmart, but I know Marshalls and Ross get them in for much less. So, now I'm on the lookout for a small and large skillet and a square griddle. I might even get a dutch oven. I know, me the woman who hates camping. But you can put that baby in your oven instead of having to use coals. Extra iron in your diet sure doesn't hurt either.

Man, my husbands connection still isn't up. While I know we could have it much much worse (I'm thinking of my grandma at home while my grandpa was on the front lines in Korea and how all they could do was write letters, and got an occasional, and very rare and a very bad connection phone call) it still gets irritating. We spend a nice chunk of money to even have this connection (which many soldiers can't always afford, nor are all of them able to even have an internet connection) and it is so bad sometimes. Ok, he is back on!! Hooray! Now, this commercial break is brought to you by Skype. Greatest thing ever. Go buy webcams and download this. My kids love talking to their grandparents and aunts and uncles on it. Not to mention our good friends. Free is worth it!

I actually made dinner last night. Since he has been deployed, it has become more difficult to make real meals. When it's just you and two little kids, grilled cheese sandwiches, mac and cheese (organic of course), quesadillas, and other simple dinners have become the norm here. (even pancakes for dinner, which is their favorite!) I had mashed potatoes that I needed to use, so I looked up a few recipes for shepherds pie and did my own with the ingredients that I had. It came out pretty good, I think. My husband has changed his diet pretty drastically, so some things that I used to make he won't eat anymore, but a lot of them he still will. I have also decided to use quinoa instead of rice from now on. Tastes good, and far outweighs rice in the nutrient area. (iron, protein and omega-3's to name a few) I will have to try and get back into making real meals before he gets home. Maybe even getting him a barbecue so that he can make his favorite: salmon on the grill.

We are coming to the end of this deployment. Been looking at my calendar, and what we have going on for the next few months, and he will be home before we know it. It has not been an easy year. People outside of the military, to whom deployment is a very foreign thing, ask how we survive, how we do it. Same as everyone else, day by day. I probably should have asked for more help than I have. I think that I have to be able to do things on my own, or try to prove to people that YES I can do it without you thank you very much. Yeah, little bit of a pride issue there. I have gotten a sitter more often lately, and my neighbor (I teach her daughters piano lessons and she makes me dinner and watches my kids in exchange) is complaining that she isn't doing enough for me, and that it is becoming one-sided. Now that the sun is coming out more often, and I feel better (seriously, the sun is like my heal all. well, that and the beach.) I think I will be doing more.

I have really been trying hard to drink more water. I have a hard time drinking enough water when it is cold. Warm weather, no problem. I have managed to drink quite a bit lately, and I can feel my body feeling better. My ankle is also healed, and I am hoping to start running again. Having to take a break affected my stamina, but I managed a little more than 3 miles the other day on the elliptical, and kept my rpm's between 60 and 64 for the entire time. And I am trying to eat more protein and less sugar. If my husband, who used to eat a half gallon of ice cream in less than 24 hours and compulsively would eat candy (he really would), can stop eating all sugar and eat nothing but vegetables and protein, I should be able to do better at what I eat. I am not looking to lose weight or drastically change my body. I AM looking to feel better and be more healthy. I want to be one of those old ladies that at 78 is still active, able to take care of herself, and goes down kicking.

And lastly, I want to share this. A man after my own heart. Spelling is so important. And even WITH spell check, you need to proofread. You can be sure that I use spell check and proofread. I want people to read what I write, and not focus on incorrect spelling or poor grammar. And now I'm off to proofread this.


No comments: