Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Camp

I am finally sitting down to write about camp, even though I have about 10 other things that I need to do.

Getting up to camp was very easy. We were assigned one of the furthest away areas, but that was OK. More exercise right? We shared a kitchen area with another ward of girls. Their leaders were very nice. Two of them were really really Mormon, if you know what I mean. The other one was pretty normal. We never had a problem with any of them.

Dinah and I had our own cabin which was great. The first day we sweat a ton. We could not drive our cars up to the cabins, so they had wagons for us to unload with. That might seem cool, but after your fourth trip, its not so cool anymore. We got the girls where they needed to be, and Dinah and I went swimming. It felt so good. I actually got a little brown, even with sunscreen just from that short hour of being in the water. That whole day we had sun, and of course humidity, and we were exhausted. The girls were not. They stayed up quite late. Luckily, I slept like the dead. Which I never do. (I actually woke up once when I heard an earthquake coming. no joke.) Poor Dinah kept waking up, and had to get upset at them for them to be quiet. We didn't have any more problems with being quiet after that.

Not sure if this was a blessing or a curse, but the next day (Wednesday) we had monsoon rains. Thunder, lightning, pouring pouring pouring rain. And the rest of our time at camp, we didn't have a whole lot of sun. We got spit on a bit here and there. Sometimes it really rained. Growing up in California, we really didn't get a lot of storms. So it was really strange to me when all of a sudden the wind came up and the flaps on the cabin started making noise, and it got really loud. So, we were a bit damp the rest of our week there. It wasn't too bad, actually helped to make the humidity a bit more bearable because the sun wasn't out.

We only had a little bit of drama the very last night at about 1am. And it wasn't even that bad. I got yelled at too. The circuit breaker for the kitchen went out, and our foil dinners were only halfway done. So, we had to go back to camp and start up a fire, wait for it to get to coals, cook them the rest of the way, eat dessert which we had already made (burned) in the dutch oven, and then clean up, and get over to the dining hall. Our Stake Camp director came up to me and told me a few things. And I just told her what we had to do. A few people came up to me and Dinah and apologized for her yelling. It was the night that the Stake Relief Society came up to camp and she was a little stressed I think. Not a good reason, but she did have an excuse for it.

I will post pictures later today. Since I was taking these pictures, I'm not in any of them. Our color was orange, and we made the girls capri's to wear with our orange shirts. They look a little like clown pants but they are really comfortable!! I know other people have some pictures of me wearing them, so if I get a copy I will post it.

Camp really wiped me out!! Oh, I forgot a few things. On the way up, I almost hit a deer. There were two, and one of them was about to step into the road. I totally freaked out. In Texas, in addition to the already nasty bugs, they are usually bigger here, and we have the added plus of scorpions that are also fun to deal with. One of the cabins in another ward had a scorpions nest in their cabin and ended up killing about 6 of them. We only saw a few in our area. We also saw armadillos, heard peacocks crowing, the caretakers dogs made off with a lot of some of the campers things (but not our ward) and at about 2am (when we were having the drama, and I was waiting for my girls to go and apologize for their part and come back) I saw something, but because it was so dark, I have no idea what it was.

Camp was fun, but I am SO glad it is done.

I have submitted names for my counselors, so hopefully Sunday I will have a full crew. And I think I'm teaching on Sunday. Hooray......

edited:: I just reread the paragraph about being yelled at. Just to clarify, we were half an hour late and that was why she was upset.

2 comments:

Lei said...

I've enjoyed girls camp, too... both as a YW and as a leader. So glad you were protected during that weather! Yikes!

wendy said...

Sounds like a very coolio camp! Camp is about 3 weeks away for us, and I'm still trying to figure out just how much hamburger to buy to feed 21 people...

Sorry about the drama, but camp's not camp without it, right?

Oi, I hope I don't have to be the mean leader who yells at the girls to be quiet. how embarrassing...