Friday, March 23, 2007

I bet you didn't know this........

When we came back to the United States, there were few things that I could think of that were going to be positive about moving back. The usual stuff was that we'd be closer to family, we didn't have to have two currency's in our wallets all the time, warmer weather in Texas, and we had bought a van on ebay and were finally going to be a two car family again!
There was one more thing that I was looking forward to having again: garbage disposal in my sink.
In europe (or at least in France and Germany) there are no garbage disposals. None. which means you are always scraping your plate into the trash or you are having to get the nasty pieces of food that get stuck in the drain out all the time. So so gross. I've always hated doing the dishes by hand and (without gloves too!) having to touch all the nasty food that was either left or was floating around in the sink. Now that we are living in the US, having a garbage disposal is almost worth having to come back. There is no greater joy than just flipping the switch and seeing everything just go down!! No more scraping plates! No more getting the nasty pieces of food out of the drain!! So, whenever I complain about having to live here again, I just need to be reminded that I have a garbage disposal now. Not that it will make it worth it, but it is something positive that I can think about.
*no matter what since I have had my own home, I ALWAYS use gloves to do the dishes, even if I'm just putting them in the dishwasher. I love gloves....

4 comments:

LeeElle said...

spaghetti sauce, gloves...whatever works! Our first apt. did not have a garberater. It became a rental requirment for John after that.

Shelly! said...

I love gloves! I just wish I could find another color than school bus yellow. My favorite thing (house-wise) is to stick those on, grab an old toothbrush, and go to town in the bathroom. Oh the joy!

Glad to see you're finding your way back to loving the US.

athena said...

i noticed this too. why can't they invent something like the garberater here in france? i hate plucking out the yuck too.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh how you've echoed my sentiments! I was so sad when we moved somewhere on a septic system - no garbage disposal! It's been almost a year and I'm still not used to it. =P