Thursday, May 1, 2008

Slow down!!!!

As most of you know, we live on a military post. And on a military post, speed limits are much different than out in the civilian world. And since post is usually smaller than a city, the MP's are usually around pretty often. On post here, in the family housing areas, the speed limit is 15 mph. Which is pretty freaking slow. Sometimes I go 17 or 18, but I do that because I don't have a digital speedometer, so sometimes it's kind of hard to stay right on 15, especially when I'm in a hurry. And we have 3 elementary schools down the street and around the corner. We also have single soldier barracks near here. And they don't quite get the speed limit. The other day, as we were walking Andrew to school, I yelled at a car to slow down. (their window was open). Today, we walked to the track that is down the street, meeting a friend to do some exercising. We have to cross the street at one point, and when we got there, there was a car coming. They were doing at least double what the speed limit was. They did not show any signs of slowing down, but I stepped into the crosswalk anyway. It's not like they couldn't see me. And my double jogger with my kids. As I walked across the street, I turned and looked at them (a four door with four soldiers in it) and said very loudly, YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN!!! As I walked past, I did see that the passenger window was open. Andrew asked if they were going to fast, and I very loudly said yes. I really wanted to walk up to the car and remind them what the speed limit is. Tomorrow I'm going to get the MP's phone number and give them a call. I rarely see them out. And if I see them, it is after school, which is good, but there are still people flying down the road all day. Maybe I'm getting feisty in my old age, or maybe the fact that I have small children that potentially could walk into the street, but it really bothers me that these people choose not to adhere to the speed limit. I wish my camera would good enough for me to sit out there and take pictures of every one speeding. And one of those cool gun things that tell you how fast they are going. And the next time someone rides my rear because I'm going the speed limit, I'm going to slow way down. And drive in the middle of the road so they can't pass. Or some of those spiky strips that police men have, but only come up when you're going more than 5 miles over the speed limit. I bet next time they would stick to the speed limit if they had to pay for four new tires.....

No comments: