Monday, July 20, 2009

I want to know

What do you say to your son when he comes to you with tears in his big blue eyes and asks you why his daddy has to leave??? And for such a long time??

I don't know what the right answer to that is. But I'll tell you what I did. I told him that it's part of his job. And then I held my giant-over-50-pounds-5-year-old in my arms and cried a little with him. And then he saw my tears and laughed and wondered why I was crying. (I rarely cry.) And then my arms hurt so I had to put him down.

Oh the choices we make in our lives.

2 comments:

Mary Alice said...

I just wanted to send you a virtual hug and some a little extra strength. It is difficult for them to comprehend why their parent has to leave them and go away...and it is so hard on the Mamas to take on all the rolls needed in the meantime.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, well, actually you know me better than you realize. You see I am also a military wife. I have held that same little boy asking that same question with tears rolling down both of our cheeks.

My husband told him a story that I think President Packer shared. I'll have to clarify that one, but here it goes.

A woman asked him the question, "What kind of man would leave his family and go off to war?" He replied, "The kind of man that wouldn't leave it to another to do."

I always told my children that they had that kind of a father. The kind that would go out on the front lines and protect them and those around them.

You are married to a Modern day Moroni, and I'll bet Moroni's wife was a pretty cool person also. Never forget what an amazing woman you are!!!!!