Monday, February 19, 2007

Porcupines

I love to read. Almost anything. The book that I just finished reading is called "How to Hug a Porcupine" by Dr. John Lund. It is amazing. It is a "self-help" book, but one of the best that I have ever read. I admit that I am a big fan of these type of books. I have several and have actually read some of them. This book talks about toxic personalities and how to deal with them, and if you are a toxic personality, how you can change. As I was reading, I realized how many things I did that fell under the classification of a "toxic personality". And then I learned how I could change those things. It talks about how we need to focus on becoming the best selves that we can, and how to not become a pincushion to those around us that are Porcupines. And after the two weeks that I recently spent in California, I have never needed this book more. It has given me the guidelines I need to specifically change things that I was already aware of that needed to change, but I just didn't know how to do it. And it also has taught me how to deal with a major Porcupine in my life. I am going to start rereading it tonite because the first time through it I couldn't put it down. Probably because I felt like I couldn't get enough. It was so revealing about so many things that I have experienced and felt my entire life and this book helped me to understand, to accept and to start to heal. I highly reccomend this book to anyone that has a difficult personality in their lives. Or just to have help in dealing with criticism, whether giving or receiving, in your own lives.
Some other books that I have recently read have been Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Courtesan, Mr. Darcy's Story, and I'm trying to read Marie Antoinette, but the porcupine book was too interesting to not finish first.
I will not be a pincushion anymore!!!!! Yay!!

1 comment:

Shelly! said...

And hopefully you will not be a porcupine to anyone. That to me is the biggest victory - changing what you might have been to what you will be.